SOAL-SOAL LATIHAN MID SEMESTER
- A. GERUND
1. ____ all the way make us tired.
c. We walk
d. We have walked
e. By walking
2. I don’t like ____ to another school
a. Mira moves
b. Mira she’s moving
c. Mora move
d. Mira’s moving
e. The moving of mira
3. I’m sorry for ____to move to another school
4. Little children are usually afraid of___ by their mother
b. To left
c. Being left
e. Been left
5. My brother has been away from home for years without ever ______to us
a. To write
b. To be written
c. Have written
6. Before ____his essay he read books on the subject
a. He writes
b. He has written
d. He has written
e. I am writing
7. My parent are happy about ____ the prize in the essay contest
a. My winning
b. I win
c. Me winning
d. That I win
e. I am winning
8. After ____ his pass, he has allowed to enter the building
b. Have shown
e. To show
9. Although Dino has denied ____ the money, they are still suspecting him
c. To steal
e. Have stolen
10. The man sitting next to Ratu said, “do you mind______?”
c. To smoke
d. My smoking
e. Be smoking
11. He must avoid____ too hard because of his poor health
a. Be working
b. In working
e. To be working
12. Would you mind_____ so loud?
a. To talk
b. To not talking
c. Not talking
d. You not talk
e. Not to talk.
13. Please excuse me______ you
a. To interrupt
e. For interrupting
14. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment he confessed _______
a. Steal the jewels
b. When stealing the jewels
c. He stole the jewels
d. To having stolen the jewels
e. To be stealing the jewels
15. I ____ to his behaving so rudely toward his sister
16. I am looking forward to _____ a salary raise next month
b. Be getting
d. Have got
17. Have you considered _____ to an apartment closer to your office?
b. To move
e. To be moving
18. It’s hot in here. The air condition is not working’.
I think it only needs___________.”
a. To clean
e. Be cleaned
19. In her letter my friend said that she was looking forward _________ from me again.
a. To hearing
b. To hear
d. Having heard
20. What does this song remind you of?
_____ with my first date.
a. Io dance
b. To dance
d. To be dancing
21. We always try to avoid _______ preserved foods.
b. To consume
d. We consume
e. Being consumed
22. It’s difficult ______ smoking
a. The give up
b. Give up
c. Given up
d. To be given up
e. To be giving up
23. We did not know how ________ him stop drinking
c. to make
d. to be made
24. since my father and my mother are both working, we usually go ________ on Sundays
a. to shop
b. they shop
d. for shopping
25. I remember ______ in his town when traffic wasn’t too heavy get.
a. Be driving
b. We driving
d. Our driving
e. To drive.
- B. REPORTED SPEECH
- Beckham : Did you know what Fingo said yesterday?
Raul : Of course. He said ____ the previous day.
a. he had gone to his country d. he went to his country
b. he has gone to his country e. he goes to his country
c. he will go to his country
2. Teacher : Why was Mary absent yesterday?
Jenifer : What did the teacher want to know, Ferdy?
Ferdy : he wanted to know ____
a. if Mary was absent d. that Mary had been absent
b. why Mary was absent e. why Mary had been absent
c. why was Mary absent
3. Mother : Don’t be so noisy, Herman. The baby is sleeping.
Herman : Okay, mom.
Rudy : What did your mother just told you?
Herman : She told me ___ because the baby was sleeping.
a. I wasn’t so noisy d. I am very noisy
b. not to be so noisy e. to be not so noisy
c. don’t be noisy
4. Doctor : Open your mouth!
Mother : What did the doctor tell you?
Son : The doctor told me ___
a. that I open his mouth d. to open my mouth
b. if I opened my mouth e. opened my mouth
c. to open my mouth
- Mother : Do you want meatballs or fried chicken?
Mother asked me ____
a. whether I wanted meatball or fried chicken
b. whether I want meatball or fried chicken
c. that I wanted meatball or fried chicken
d. that I want meatball or fried chicken
e. if I want meatball or fried chicken
1. Head master : Why didn”t you clean this room this morning?
Jani : I am sorry. I got a headache.
The headmaster asked her why ___ the room this morning.
a. I hadn’t cleaned d. he hadn’t cleaned
b. he does not clean e. he would not clean
c. he hasn’t cleaned
2. Anto : I am sorry Lina. I forgot to bring your book.
Ari : What did he say, Lina?
Lina : Anto said to me that he ___ to bring my book.
a. has forgotten d. forgets
b. had forgotten e. forgot
c. would forget
3. Mother asked Mira to close the windows because it was windy outside.
Mother said, “ ___________”
a. Mira closed the window. It is windy outside.
b. Closed the window, Mira. It is windy outside.
c. Mira closed the window. It was windy outside.
d. Does Mira close the window. It was windy outside.
e. To close the window Mira! It is windy outside.
4. “What are you doing now?”, he asked.
He asked me ____
a. what are you were doing now d. what I was doing then.
b. what were you doing now. e. what I am doing now.
c. what I was doing then
5. “Is John coming to the party tonight?”
“yes, he asked me ____”.
a. If he could go with us d. going with us
b. can he go with us e. wether he goes with us
c. he went with us
6. My parents advised my sister ____ too much money on clothes.
a. do not spend d. not spending
b. not to spend e. not spend
c. did not spend
7. The secretary asked me ___ with Mr. Slamet.
a. did I have an appointment d. when is my appointment
b. how was my appointment e. that I had an appointment
c. whether I had appointment
8. “don’t make noise, children”, she said.
a. She told the children don’t make noise d. She told the children not to make noise.
b. She said the children didn’t make noise e. She didn’t tell the children to make
c. She didn’t say the children should noise noise
9. My friend said to me, “Can I find you a hotel?”. Mean____
a. My friend asked me if I could help him find a hotel.
b. I wondered if my friend could help me find a hotel.
c. My friend said that I could help him find a hotel.
d. My friend asked me to find a hotel for him.
e. My friend asked me whether he could help me find a hotel
10. Father said, “Finish your work!”
The indirect form is: Father told me ____
a. finish your work d. to finish your work
b. finished your work e. to finish my work
c. that I finish my work
Gerund vs Infinitive
|We use the Gerund or the Infinitive after the following verbs:|
|begin||He began talking.
He began to talk.
|continue||They continue smoking.
They continue to smoke.
|hate||Do you hate working on Saturdays?
Do you hate to work on Saturdays?
|like||I like swimming.
I like to swim.
|love||She loves painting.
She loves to paint.
|prefer||Pat prefers walking home.
Pat prefers to walk home.
|start||They start singing.
They start to sing.
|We use the Gerund or the Infinitive after the following verbs. There are two possible structures after these verbs.
Gerund: verb + -ing
Infinitive: verb + person + to-infinitive
|advise||They advise walking to town.
They advise us to walk to town.
|allow||They do not allow smoking here.
They do not allow us to smoke here.
|encourage||They encourage doing the test.
They encourage us to do the test.
|permit||They do not permit smoking here.
They do not permit us to smoke here.
We use the following structures with the word recommend:
|recommend||They recommend walking to town.
They recommend that we walk to town.
|Put in the verbs in brackets in the Gerund or the to-infinitive.
Example: They go on _______ (read) the book.
Answer: They go on reading the book.
|1) I can’t imagine Peter going by bike.|
|2) He agreed to buy a new car.|
|3) The question is easy to answer.|
|4) The man asked me how to get to the airport.|
|5) I look forward to seeing you at the weekend.|
|6) Are you thinking of visiting London?|
|7) We decided to run through the forest.|
|8) The teacher expected Sarah to study hard.|
|9) She doesn’t mind working the night shift.|
|10) I learned to ride the bike at the age of 5.|
|Put in the verbs in brackets in the Gerund or the infinitive.
Example: They promised ______ (sell) the old comics.
Answer: They promised to sell the old comics.
|1) We decided to buy a new car.|
|2) They’ve got some work to do.|
|3) Peter gave up smoking.|
|4) He’d like to fly an aeroplane.|
|5) I enjoy writing picture postcards.|
|6) Do you know what to do if there’s a fire in the shop?|
|7) Avoid making silly mistakes.|
|8) My parents wanted me to be home at 11 o’clock.|
|9) I dream about building a big house.|
|10) I’m hoping to see Lisa.|
Some verbs have different meaning. (when used with Gerund or Infinitive)
|forget||He’ll never forget spending so much money on his first computer.||Don’t forget to spend money on the tickets.|
|go on||Go on reading the text.||Go on to read the text.|
|mean||You have forgotten your homework again. That means phoning your mother.||I meant to phone your mother, but my mobile didn’t work.|
|remember||I remember switching off the lights when I went on holiday.||Remember to switch off the lights when you go on holiday.|
|stop||Stop reading the text.||Stop to read the text.|
|try||Why don’t you try running after the dog?||I tried to run after the dog, but I was too slow.|